Especially on and around Black Friday, we should consciously revisit the topic of sustainable shopping. Every year retailers try to undercut each other with discount campaigns and KCustomers are encouraged to buy products that they do not absolutely need. On Black Friday Sustainable and environmentally conscious shopping is quickly becoming secondary.
It is generally very important to create awareness for environmentally conscious and plastic-free shopping in society. According to a study, every part bought is thrown away after a year at the latest. Thus Germany produces 391,752 tons of textile waste a year 😱. In the interests of our environment, this must be reduced!
That's why we've put together a few ways for you to behave more sustainably when shopping and still not have to do without anything.
What can I do better when shopping to become more environmentally conscious and plastic-free?
- A conscious consumption is extremely important. In contrast to other "fast" fashion, "slow" fashion is the order of the day when it comes to sustainable shopping. buy well thought out and ask yourself the following questions before you buy: "Is the price worth the quality?", "Could I wear this part every day and especially for a longer period of time?" and "Can I combine it well?". This way you are safer before making a purchase and you may buy a somewhat more expensive part, but you will have something of it for a long time.
- Avoid impulse purchases. If you've fallen in love with a piece, it's best to sleep on it one night and see if you still really want it the next day. So your purchase is not dependent on a spontaneous whim.
- Buy "timeless". In this way you keep a piece of clothing in circulation for a long time and, as a pleasant side effect, the number of your so-called "closet keepers" is also reduced.
- It is extremely important for our environment Plastic to avoid. This also applies to shopping. There is plastic in many materials, such as polyester, nylon and viscose. Prefer to buy clothes made from natural fibers. In this way, microplastics are reduced in our wastewater and at the same time in the sea.
- But that's best anyway Second-Hand-Shopping. Here you have the best ecological balance in terms of water consumption and pesticides. According to studies, a garment whose life is extended by nine months can reduce its environmental impact by 20-30 percent. The cycle is also maintained because the piece is passed on and resources are saved.
- In the field of cosmetics, it is advisable to switch to natural cosmetics without chemical or harmful ingredients.
But can I now shop more sustainably on Black Friday?
Anyway, there's nothing wrong with a long-planned purchase where you can save some money on Black Friday. However such discount concepts as we have on Black Friday are questionable if they only serve to push consumer behavior and initiate purchase decisions that are actually unnecessary, without the consumer or producer thinking about sustainable design make.
Cheap offers and sustainable consumption can definitely be combined. Because many companies that also otherwise focus on sustainability also offer special promotions during Black Week. Just find out about such campaigns or buy recycled products. Otherwise, it's always important to think about it, do I really need it in the long term? If you can answer yes to this question with a clear conscience, there is nothing wrong with a bargain on Black Friday😇.