In this blog article you will learn everything about the advantages and disadvantages of a safety razor and how to master the correct handling of a safety razor. You will find out for whom the safety razor is suitable, what differences there are in terms of sustainability and quality and whether the SHAVENT is the future of sustainable shaving.
1. The safety razor briefly explained
2. Advantages of a safety razor: Not only environmentally friendly
3. Disadvantages of a safety razor: What you should consider
4. The correct handling of the safety razor
5. For whom is a safety razor suitable?
6. Sustainability and quality in safety razors
7. Is the SHAVENT the future of shaving? Sustainable alternative to conventional safety razors
The safety razor briefly explained
Have you had enough of the skin-irritating shaving methods and are you looking for an alternative? This is where the safety razor comes in! But what exactly is a safety razor and how is it different from other razors?
A safety razor is a wet razor that uses a single blade in a closed cartridge. Unlike electric razors, which use rotating shaving heads, or drugstore razors, which have multiple blades in a cartridge, the safety razor's blade scrapes directly over the skin to remove beard or unwanted body hair.
With safety razors, a distinction is made between a so-called open and closed comb. A closed comb is recommended for beginners, which has a continuous blade edge and protects the blade better. Because the blade is less exposed, it is safer to use. In contrast, an open-comb safety razor has a broken blade edge and is usually serrated. While this provides a closer shave, it has a higher potential for injury. People with a lot of beard growth often prefer this type of safety razor.
Regardless of the type of planer, it can take time to learn and perfect the correct technique and thus minimize the high susceptibility to injuries. In the meantime, however, there are sustainable and at the same time comfortable razors like the SHAVENT. More on this in the sustainable alternative to conventional safety razors section.
Advantages of a safety razor: Not only environmentally friendly
1. Close shave: Safety razors give you a closer shave than many electric razors and cartridge razors because they fit closer to the skin, shaving hair closer to the skin.
2. Less skin irritation: Safety razors tend to cause less skin irritation because a single blade doesn't irritate the skin as much.
3. longevity: Reusable safety razors are typically made of metal or wood, making them far more durable than plastic drugstore razors.
4. environmental friendliness: Reusable safety razors are more environmentally friendly because, unlike disposable razors, they do not have to be thrown away.
5. Blade Freedom: Blades from different manufacturers can be used in the safety razor. So you can try different blades.
6. Inexpensive blades: Standard blades only cost a few cents and are significantly cheaper compared to conventional plastic interchangeable heads.
7. Traditional method: Shaving with a safety razor is a traditional method of shaving and provides a comfortable shaving experience for many people.
8. Eye catcher: Compared to a conventional system shaver from the drugstore, a razor is a real eye-catcher in the bathroom.
Disadvantages of a safety razor: what you should consider
1. time consuming: When shaving with a safety razor, you should plan a little more time because you have to shave with care.
2. skill: A higher level of dexterity is required to achieve a close shave with a safety razor because an angle of attack must be maintained when shaving.
3. Higher initial investment: Safety razors have a higher initial investment than system razors, but they are more cost-effective in the long term thanks to cheap blades.
4. Higher risk of injury: Since a safety razor has no flexible head and only one blade, it is easy to cut yourself. If the blades are not properly maintained or replaced, the risk of injury is further increased. Due to the angle of attack, body shaving is more for shaving professionals.
Proper handling of the safety razor
In order to master the correct technique when shaving with a safety razor, there are a few tips and tricks that should be considered:
1. Always use fresh blades: A fresh blade allows for a smoother, closer shave and reduces the risk of skin irritation.
2. Clean your skin: Clean skin is the basis for a smooth shave.
3. Use a shaving soap or gel: These products create a lubricating film that softens the skin and raises the hair, making shaving easier.
4. Hold the safety razor at the right angle: The safety razor should be held at an angle of 30 degrees to the skin to ensure a close and safe shave.
5. Use short, gentle strokes: Avoid pressing the safety razor too hard on the skin and instead use short, gentle strokes to remove the hair.
6. Clean your skin: After shaving, cleanse the skin with cold water to remove foam residue from your skin and to close the pores.
7. Use a moisturizer: After shaving, it is important to soothe and hydrate the skin to avoid irritation.
It can take time to learn the right technique, but with regular practice and the tips above, you can master the perfect handling of the safety razor. If you don't have the time or desire to practice regularly, there are now sustainable and much more comfortable metal razors with a flexible head like the SHAVENT.
For whom is a safety razor suitable?
Whether a safety razor is the best choice for you depends on your personal preferences and the texture of your skin and beard density. If a particularly thorough, traditional and environmentally friendly shave is important to you, then the safety razor could become your new friend.
It is important that you are a patient person in order to enjoy planing in the long term. You should have fun with a traditional shave, because handling and observing the angle of attack is not for everyone and injuries can quickly occur with a quick and unconcentrated shave.
The plane is mainly suitable for men who want to take a lot of time to shave their beard. You can find out everything about men's plane shaving here. The shaver is rather unsuitable for shaving in the intimate area or in places that are not directly visible. So if you primarily shave your body, which is often the case with women, a razor with a flexible head is much more comfortable. If you are interested in the topic, you can here find out more about women shaving with a safety razor.
Sustainability and quality in safety razors
Sustainability and quality are also of great importance when choosing safety razors. A sustainable safety razor consists of environmentally friendly materials and is manufactured under fair working conditions. It should also be durable and robust so that it can be used for as long as possible and thus reduce waste. The handle is usually made of wood or metal. Chrome-plated metal is an advantage here because it cannot rust and is therefore even more durable. That's why it's worth spending a little more money to get a durable and reliable safety razor, rather than going for a cheap model.
To tell if a safety razor is made sustainably, you should consider the following factors:
materials: If safety razors are made from recycled materials, this is a good sign. In addition, longevity is an indication of a sustainable safety razor. Make sure that e.g. metal is chrome-plated to rule out the risk of rusting.
Manufacturing process: A sustainable manufacturing process should include minimal waste and efficient use of resources.
longevity: If a safety razor has few wearing parts and can be repaired, you are doing the environment and yourself a favor as you never have to throw away your razor.
transparency: Check if the company provides information about its supply chain, manufacturing processes and sustainability practices.
It's important to note that not all companies hold the same standards for sustainability, so it's important to thoroughly examine the above factors.
Is the SHAVENT the future of shaving? Sustainable alternative to conventional safety razors
The shaving market has changed significantly in recent years. There is now a choice of sustainable yet comfortable alternatives to traditional safety razors. These options offer both environmental and skin benefits, and are a great choice for people looking for a more sustainable and comfortable way to shave.
The SHAVENT is a high-quality razor with a flexible metal head, made in Germany and presented as a sustainable alternative to traditional razors. Using a swing head razor like the SHAVENT offers a number of advantages over traditional razors and planes. Just like with the safety razor, no plastic is produced, as only the blades have to be replaced. The flexible head and three blades make the SHAVENT a more convenient and easy razor as it doesn't require an exact angle of attack unlike a safety razor.
In addition, the SHAVENT has a movable head that automatically adapts to the contours of the face or body. The handling is comparable to a conventional drugstore razor and is suitable for both beard and body shaving. The shave is particularly thorough because the three blades lie directly on the skin, which means that hair is cut off earlier. Thanks to its ergonomic shape, the razor is comfortable to hold.